Secondary ELD Program
Prior to entering the school, students are given a placement test. Based on the results, students either enter on level, advanced, or English Language Development (ELD) courses. ELD courses are meant for students who are still acquiring the English language. We offer English, science, and history classes for ELD students based on their English proficiency level.
The ESL Advancement Exam (EAE) will be administered twice yearly for currently enrolled ELD students, once in December, and again in late May.
The test is based on showing mastery of the key skills of reading and writing (literacy). It requires students to read passages and write clear, well-organized responses to them.
The Advancement Process into Standard English Classes
The process takes into account three factors:
- Literacy (the EAL),
- Motivation and diligence (grades),
- Oral and listening skills (interview).
Upon passing the EAE, class grades and MAP scores are reviewed by the ELD teacher(s) and administration. Once these two criteria determine eligibility, students are required to pass an interview with an English department member that focuses on oral and listening skills. Students who meet requirements in all three criteria would advance and “level up”.
Search our website:
- 22 Feb 2024Sisac D2 Girls BasketballAfter 5 years of joining in the Ladycats’ Basketball, it brought me to tears that it has ended. Today, we had the tournament at SAS puxi and we...
- 22 Feb 2024Sisac D2 Boys BasketballI still remember the first time I joined my first basketball practice at SLAS. I was sixth grade and had little to no idea about the sport. The only r...
- 14 Feb 2024SLAS: Hongqiao Friendship AwardSLAS: Hongqiao Friendship Award Shanghai Livingston American School Legal Representative Mr Thomas Sheng was nominated for the Friendship Award and pr...